September is Healthy Aging Month! What does that mean to you? For me it’s about the whole package – mind, body and spirit. Reminding myself I’m never too old to make small positive changes and even reinvent myself if I am so inclined. Check out this list of 10 Healthy Aging & Reinventing Yourself ideas. Which ones speak to you?
1. Do not act your age or at least what you think your current age should act like! What do remember as your best age? Picture yourself at that age and be it. Some people may say this is denial, but it goes a long way toward feeling better about yourself. (Tip: Don’t keep looking in the mirror, just FEEL IT!)
2. Be positive in your conversations and actions every day. When you catch yourself complaining, check yourself right there and change the conversation to something positive. (Tip: Reading and writing positive affirmations daily can be uplifting!)
3. Don’t associate with negative people. Surround yourself with people who have a positive outlook on life, who are energetic, happy people. You’ll be happier too. (Tip: Smile often. It’s contagious!)
4. Analyze your gait. Do you walk slowly because you have just become lazy or, perhaps, have a fear of falling? (Tip: Strength and balance exercises can make a big difference)
5. Stand up as straight as you can! You can knock off a few years with this trick your mother kept trying to tell you. You will look great and feel better. (Tip: Your waistline will also look trimmer!)
6. How’s your smile? People who smile more often are happier. Your teeth are just as important to your health as the rest of your body. Good oral health is a gateway to your overall well-being. (Tip: Keep those regular dental exams and maybe look into teeth whitening)
7. Lonely? You don’t have to be. Call a friend or family member, volunteer your time, take a class, invite someone to meet for lunch or coffee. (Tip: SeniorsPlus has many volunteer opportunities and if you haven’t checked out our Education Center you owe it to yourself – do it today!)
8. Start walking – just a few extra steps a day can make a big difference. Fall is a beautiful time of year to get outside for a walk. (Tip: If you have a dog, take them for a walk with you!)
9. Make this the month you set up your annual physical and other health screenings. If you’re approaching 65 remember October starts Open Enrollment season for Medicare. SeniorsPlus is available to provide free assistance with navigating this often confusing process. Call us to schedule your personal appointment.
10. Last but not least, find your inner artist. You may have an artist lurking inside you just waiting to be tapped (Tip: Never think you are too old to reinvent yourself!)
Holly Zielinski is the Director of Community Services for SeniorsPlus