Hello from Holly…
TURNING 65? It’s time for Medicare! If you are turning 65 and have a Marketplace plan, you need to ACT NOW!
Here are the facts:
• Since you are eligible for Medicare when you turn 65, you will lose any Marketplace subsidies or tax credits you receive.
• It’s your responsibility to make the switch from your Marketplace plan to Medicare – this does not happen automatically.
• Although Medicare may cost more than your Marketplace plan, Medicare gives you better coverage at a time you’ll need it most.
• If you wait to enroll in Medicare, you will pay a 10% penalty for life on your Part B Medicare premium for every year you delay enrollment.
• On average, people who wait to enroll in Medicare are paying 30% more in premiums than those who enrolled at age 65.
To protect your health and finances – When you Turn 65, Do the Two-Step!
Step One: Enroll in Medicare – You can sign up online at www.ssa.gov or 1-800-772-1213. If you need more information about the Medicare choices that work best for you, call us at SeniorsPlus to schedule a personal one-on-one appointment, toll free 1-800-427-1241. We offer free, unbiased assistance.
Step Two: Dis-enroll from the Marketplace – You can dis-enroll online at www.healthcare.gov or call Consumers for Affordable Healthcare at 1-800-965-7476 for assistance in dis-enrolling from your Marketplace plan.
You don’t have to navigate this alone!
• This process can be complicated
• Every person’s situation is different
• You could lose coverage or face penalties if you do nothing
Contact your local area agency on aging to get free, unbiased advice you can trust! The area agency on aging for western Maine is SeniorsPlus, 1-800-427-1241. To reach area agencies on aging outside of western Maine, call 1-877-353-3771.
Holly Zielinski is the Director of Community Services for SeniorsPlus